• Energy Balls
• Dragon Breath
• Sword Throw
• Swarm of Bats
|Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night character|
- "Me? I am your executioner."
- —Zangetsu when encountered in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Bloodless is a boss in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Zangetsu (斬月) is a character in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. He is a demon hunter who hails from a country in the East.
- Coming from a small country far away in the East, Zangetsu specializes in fighting demons. He makes his way to England when the demons first show up 10 years before the main story of Bloodstained begins.
- He uses a dual katana fighting style along with Japanese "ofuda" paper incantations to destroy his demonic foes.
- During his long battle to keep the demons at bay he loses his left eye and right arm. Using a special Ofuda spell he is able to animate a wooden prosthetic arm to nearly the same level of mobility as his original arm. The Ofuda that covers his missing left eye grants him the ability to see both auras of both the living and dead.
- He lost a great deal of friends during his 10 years of fighting, creating an absolute hatred for not only the creatures themselves but also the Alchemists that brought them to the Earth.
Zangetsu's design blends Western-style coat that was prominent in the era when Bloodstained took place, with Japanese hints in that it's kept half open. IGA has also stated that he also emphasized Zangetsu's wild nature through the design. 
Zangetsu was first revealed on the August 20, 2015 Kickstarter update. Regarding the character's purpose in the story, IGA stated, "Zangetsu is a character I came up with when trying to answer this question: What happened in the lost time between the appearance of the demons on earth and Miriam's awakening 10 years later?" while adding that he's trying to do something fresh in the game's universe, since he hadn't had a Japanese character in his games before.
Later in at the BitSummit 2017, IGA elaborates more on the character's backstory. He also revealed that they had thought of creating a "Knight Templar" kind of character to fulfill Zangetsu's role before, but changed their mind due to the reason stated above.
Zangetsu contains the kanji for "beheading" (斬) and "moon" (月). The writing of the name is a variation of "残月", also pronounced Zangetsu, which literally means "remaining moon" and is used to refer to the moon visible in the morning in Japanese. The "zan" from "残" is a a Japanese approximation of the Chinese pronunciation of "cán" as it is pronounced in the Wu region of China (Go'on). The "zan" from "斬" is a misreading of "san", the Japanese approximation of the Chinese pronunciation of "Zhǎn" during the Tang Dynasty (Kan'on).
- See: Zangetsu/Gallery
- ↑ Development Update #55
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 August Update: PAX, Surveys, and Samurai.
- ↑ Bloodstained Goes Medieval on Players... Medieval Japan, That Is.